Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
1. Within the industry, on the stock or company level, where can I find out analysts' opinions on the stock.
In the database Mergent Online, you have access to analyst reports from hundreds of investment banks, stock brokerages and independent research companies.
2. Which database do you recommend that I find raw financial data (financial statements 10Q or 10 K) or computed financial ratios (P/E ratio, etc.)
The United States Security and Exchange Commission's EDGAR database is the primary source of 10-Q and 10-K reports. However, several databases have taken financial data from EDGAR and put it into table format for ease of use, Factiva and Mergent Online.
3. Is there a database that allows me to compare multiple stocks, for example, comparing UPS vs. Fedex in terms of P/E ratio, market cap size, etc.?
Market cap is available in Factiva. Ratios are available in the databases Factiva and InvestorEdge.
Instructions for getting to the financial data are below.
1. To obtain market cap: on the Factiva homepage, hover over Companies/Markets, then select Company. Enter your company name or ticker symbol into the Smart Search box, then select your company. Select Peer Comparison.
2. To obtain ratios: On the Factiva homepage, hover over Companies/Markets, then select Company. Enter your company's name or ticker symbol, then select your company. Select Financial Results, then in the drop down menu select Key Ratios.
For Ratios: On the InvestorEdge homepage, select Company (top right of screen). Then enter the name or ticker symbol of your company, and select your company. On the screen that appears, scroll down, the ratios are on the right.
Use Mergent Online to access company financial data and analyst reports. Once you log on, use the search box on the left to obtain company profiles. Once you bring up a company profile, select the Company financials tab on the top menu bar.
To obtain analyst reports, from the Mergent Online homepage, select the Investext tab. Then click on Company Name/Ticker, enter your company's name or ticker symbol. Then click the Submit tab.
Limit your search to just company level reports, click on Report Style. The link "Use REPORTSTYLE Lookup" will appear. Then select, COMPANY (EQUITY) REPORTS. This will appear in the search box. Then click the Submit button again. Then click on Save/View. A list of reports will appear.
To download/read a report click the document icon on the far right.
Anthropology, Business and Economics Librarian