Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Question of the Month
Looking ahead to 2023, how do you expect to rate President Biden's performance?
Please answer the poll only once.
Register to Vote in California
Voter Registration and Election Deadlines Outside California
California Voter Registration
Registration Deadline: October 19, 2020
Vote-by-Mail Ballot Request Deadline: October 27, 2020
California General Election: November 3, 2020
Some of the items below will change as the elections near so check back occasionally to see the latest information.
Requesting a Mail-In Ballot
- California: To request a mail-in ballot, contact the county election office where you plan to vote.
- Outside of California, check with your state’s election office(s)
Drop Boxes / Mailing in Your Absentee Ballot
- Santa Clara County
- If you live outside Santa Clara County, you will need to mail in your ballot.
- The address of your polling place is on the back page of the sample ballot booklet that your county elections official mailed to you. If you do not have the booklet, contact your county elections office, or call the Secretary of State's toll-free voter hotline at (800) 345-VOTE (8683).
- Santa Clara County: Find your polling place (search by your residential address)
- Other California Counties: County Election Offices
- If you are voting for the first time, it is suggested that you bring an ID with you in case there are any questions regarding your registration. If you registered online, the polling workers might need to validate your identification. If you have voted before, no ID should be necessary.
- State laws vary. If you are not from California, check the guidelines. Some states accept a student ID; others do not.
Social Sciences and Government Information Librarian