Selected books from the library collection:
Global Beauties, Local Bodies.
Icons of Beauty: Art, Culture, and the Image of Women
There She Is, Miss America: The Politics of Sex, Beauty, and Race in America's Most Famous Pageant,
Body Work, Beauty, and Self Image in American Culture
Beauty and Business: Commerce, Gender, and Culture in Modern America,
Hope in a Jar: the Making of America's Beauty Culture
Hair Raising: Beauty, Culture, and African-American Women
Behold the Man: the Hype and Selling of Male Beauty in Media and Culture
Many Mirrors: Body Image and Social Relations
The Weight of Images: Affect, Body Image, and Fat in the Media
Beauty in Context: Towards an Anthropological Approach to Aesthetics
To find more books on your topic, follow these steps:
- Go to OSCAR, the library catalog, (available from the library home page at https://www.scu.edu/library)
- Enter keywords describing your topic. For example if you are interested in the representation of beauty in the media, you can try:
Beauty and Media
Beauty and Television (or magazines or advertising)
- Remermber to use synonyms when you do your search. For example, you can use "Beauty Pageants" but also "Beauty Contests".
- Be sure to check the locations of the books in OSCAR. Some books are located in the ARS (Automated Retrieval System) and you need to request them, some others are in the stacks on the lower level of the library.
- If you are interested in a book and you cannot find it in OSCAR, use LINK+ to request it from another library. It takes only a few days to get it!